In this course, we introduce wildland fire simulation modelling concepts that build off of the FWI and FBP subsystems of the Canadian Forest Fire Danger Rating System. Participants will learn how to prepare and format data inputs, and perform fire behaviour and fire growth predictions using Prometheus, REDapp, R, and WindNinja. Knowledge and skill are developed through a series of exercises that emulate real wildland fire events.
During the course participants will:
- Prepare model inputs and run simulations.
- Calibrate model parameters and settings.
- Interpret, validate, and present model outputs.
- Perform sensitivity analyses.
- Discuss model assumptions and limitations.
The classroom component of the course is 32 hours.